Getting To Yes

Why is it when I go to some big box retailers and ask for some help in my buying decision there is nary a sales person present? And if I want an item gift wrapped after 6pm, the wrapping department is closed. Why is that? Is it because there are not enough “Yes Men” or Yes Women”? Have these people been trained to say, “we cannot solve this issue” as sweetly as possible; always smiling and saying “I wish I could help you, but the company says blah, blah, blah”. Why is that?

Because they have no incentive to get to Yes.

In over 85% of the cases, they just don’t care. The remaining 15% will try to help you, even working to gift wrap the packages themselves…under penalty of Big Brother and The Holding Company (Sorry Janis)

On the other hand, when I go to my local mom and pop retailer, they are almost killing themselves to wait on me, to sell me something, to gift wrap it,to thank me profusely for my business and to ask me to join their E-mailing list. Some will even deliver it to my home if it is too heavy. They get it. They get to Yes quickly and consistently.

If you find your employees are too busy apologizing to customers for lack of service or just lack the service skills they need to get to Yes, then send them to one of these big box retailers and let them ask for something out of the ordinary. They will soon understand the frustration your customer feels when your employees cannot get them to Yes.

If you find them saying that “the task is impossible or we don’t do that here”, ask them to go to the DMV or the Post office for a wonderful experience. “Can’t mail that package; too heavy; box is too big; needs more wrapping and so on might be just some of the things they will hear at Uncle Sam’s post office. UPS, Fed Ex and any of the “for profit” companies will gladly take your package and give you whatever you need to ship that puppy.

It doesn’t matter if you are a small company, a big company, a government bureaucracy or a family entertainment center, ALL of your people need to get to Yes every time they interact with a customer. Every single time. With no exceptions.

If they don’t believe how important this is or don’t understand your insiistence on this issue, give them this sticker to put up on their refrigerator door: “Dear Customer; Thanks for the Food”.

Maybe that will get them to Yes and get you to greater profitability.

About Fred Kaplowitz
Marketing is in my DNA. I love to solve problems and meet challenges head on and I have successfully produced results for hundreds of clients. I love what I do and love helping to make my clients more successful and happier. I am a husband and father, consultant, a coach, a teacher, a motivator, a copy- writer, and a speaker. I look forward to working with anyone searching for a proven methodology out of mediocrity. May I assist you in taking your business to the next level. Please call me now @ 516 359 4874 to review your business goals and strategies.

1 Comment on Getting To Yes

  1. The best one yet Fred! Enjoy reading your thoughts. Amy

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published.


*