Larry The Cable Guy, a comedian from, I believe, Louisiana, has a take on comedy that stems from his blue collar view of the world. In his world, nothing is sacred. Wives, husbands, homes, dogs, kids and jobs; he goes after ’em all. But his motto, at the end of almost every joke is “Git R Done.” And that’s probably the best marketing advice anyone can give us.
When I work with clients and lay out a marketing program along with to do action steps, assign responsibilities, timetables, write the copy, design the emails, update their website, provide them with Facebook posts, blog/newsletters, flier copy, telephone answering techniques, train the staff for inside sales and outside sales, I am sometimes surprised that during my follow up conversations I come to find out that they didn’t implement.
When I ask why, I would get answers like:
- Something came up and we had to have all hands on deck to solve that problem
- We were too busy
- We had some people out sick and just couldn’t get to it
- I went on vacation and my people didn’t do it
- The dog ate the notes
- I couldn’t open the attachments
- My marketing girl quit
- My kids came in from Chicago and we had to babysit the grandkids
- I had too much paperwork and had to empty vending machines
- And on and on
Ideas with out action are worthless.
So if you’re not there for the money (and the fun) what are you doing in that box anyway?
Git R Done!