We are going back, albeit slowly, to the things that make us feel “normal.” In some states, not in all states, but some, haircuts, restaurants, outdoor dining, bars, local retail shopping, some movie theatres, gyms, and bowling centers are starting to open.
And when customers come back, what do they most want to feel? Well if you have been following my blog for a while you know that people want only two things in life.
- To increase their pleasure
- To decrease their pain
You will be decreasing their pain by abiding by all the CDC guidelines and probably going over and above to make them feel safe and healthy – that decreases their pain, but what will you do to increase their pleasure?
Here’s what I suggest.
Make them laugh. Make them happy. After almost 90 days of quarantining, they will be ready for some fun and laughter!! How will you do this?
Well, the first thing we always teach our front of the house people is to smile and greet the guest as if they are family. But how can they smile if they are wearing a mask?
Here are 11 idea starters for you to “make ‘em laugh.”
- Get masks with smiles on it or funny faces or super hero faces
- Make sure your paper menus have a joke of the day or a funny fact on it or put it on your overhead. Even a series of “knock knock jokes” would be different and get people to laugh. Don’t worry about being corny. People want the “good old days.”
- Hire a magician to do card tricks during open play
- Roll out a barrel of beer in a wheelbarrow and tap a keg on the lanes. Try that during the 7th frame and play the “roll out the barrel” song
- Run old comedy videos like Laurel and Hardy, Three Stooges and other funny videos (check copyright laws first). Or if you subscribe to Bowling Music Network, ask them if they have some funny stuff you can put up on your screens or overheads
- Ask your employees to wear funny hats and have a funny hat night where customers can participate as well. Give out a $25 Amazon gift card for the funniest hat!
- Play music whenever you are able to, not just on cosmic nights, but maybe even during league nights if it’s Ok with the league. You might be surprised that they will say YES, especially if you tell them you want them to have EVEN MORE fun
- Conduct 60’s, 70’s and 80’s theme nights where everyone in the center dresses up in clothes from that era, including employees and then play music from that era
- Have a Frisbee throwing contest in the parking lot one Sunday afternoon. Charge an entry fee like $5 per team with some of it going to a charity (like BVL)
- After 1st shift, and If you are able to based on occupancy and social distancing guidelines becoming more relaxed, hire a comedian for a half hour in the bar,
- Can you do some old fashioned ice cream specials; like malteds, shakes, sundaes, ice cream sodas, banana splits, etc. ice cream always makes people happy
What other things can you think of to “increase their pleasure?”